Whole-home remodeling, whether it’s for your forever home or an investment property, is an exciting, but challenging adventure! Organization, focus, and staying on-budget are crucial to a successful remodeling experience.
But, first, you need to find the right partner to design your new interior. This begins with researching local whole home remodelers and booking design consultations with your favorite 2-3 companies. When doing your research, make sure to look at their portfolios, online reviews, and remodeling processes.
These two checklists for design consultations provide important questions to ask as well as talking points to get the most from your design consult.
Questions for Your Whole Home Design Consult
Whole-home design consultations allow you to vet out the best partner for your project. Not only should you discuss your vision for your home design, but you should take the time to get to know how the potential partner can outperform the competition! Learn how they’ll design and manage your project, how they approach tough conversations, and more by asking the right questions during your consultation.
Some questions to help you compare and contrast companies:
- What makes your company different from other home remodelers?
- Tell me about some past whole home projects you’ve done that are like mine.
- What should I expect from your design and construction processes?
- Do I have to put money down or pay a fee to see the designs for my space? When do you collect a deposit?
- How disruptive will the construction process be, given that multiple rooms will be remodeled?
- With such a large scope, how will you work with me to ensure I stay on-budget?
- Do you have equal expertise in each room of the home, or is there a space your company doesn’t specialize in?
- Can I use your company start to finish to design and complete by remodel, or will I need multiple partners?
- Will we tackle construction in phases since the scope is so large?
- Can you customize my design to what I want?
- Is it possible to do what I’m looking to do with this space?
- What trends are you seeing in design that we should consider or be aware of?
- What if I change my mind on how I want the design to look during the process?
- How do you handle unexpected issues during the construction process?
- Do you order materials on my behalf?
- Do you manage the tradesmen working in my home on my behalf?
- Do you guarantee the pricing you provide me at the time of estimate?
- How do you project the construction timeline for my project?
- How do you make sure every room being remodeled is up to code during this process?
- What potential problems or challenges, if any, do you see with my project?
Talking Points For Your Whole Home Remodel Consultation
At FBC, you’ll be meeting with a dedicated designer who will craft your entire home from start to finish, should you choose to move forward with the design process! We take the time to get to know you, your family, and how your space currently functions in daily life. We want to know how we can help you build joy with your space through beautiful, but also functional, design.
Here are several talking points that our designers use and recommend bringing up during your design consult:
- The purpose behind your home remodel. Is your project to help improve the daily fit and function of your space? Are you remodeling to raise the resale value of the home? A combination of both? How long do you plan to live in your home?
- The ideal function of your new layout. If you could wave a magic wand, what would you want this space to do for you? How will this space impact your everyday life? What problems would you be solving?
- How much of your home are you remodeling? Are you remodeling the entirety of the home, several rooms in your home, or one entire floor?
- What a day in the life of your home looks like. Do you have growing children that need more space? Do you need to open up your existing layout? Are you looking to create specialty rooms?
- The design style you’re going for. What’s your design style? What trends, colors, and looks do you want to see in the finished product? What are the most outdated features of your home?
- What general budget you are working with. During your consultation, your designer can provide a ballpark range for your project. It’s important to be on the same page and set expectations going into your home remodel. It’s also a good idea to ask when, in the process, you’ll get your final project price.
- What you don’t want to see with your design. What are some deal breakers for you with this project? What are some design elements you hate that our designers should know about?
- What challenges or issues there may be with construction. Depending on the scope (or amount of home you’re remodeling), you may have to tackle your project in phases as to not be totally disruptive of your day-to-day. Your potential partner can tell you what to expect.
- Any lingering concerns you have about home remodeling in general. What would keep you from moving forward with the project? If you’ve completed a remodel project before, be sure to tell your designer all about that experience.
- Your schedule. What does your availability look like for possible future appointments and the construction phase?
Book a home remodeling consultation with FBC Remodel.
FBC Remodel encompasses expertise in every area of the home. From unfinished basements to outdated kitchens and master suites needing an upgrade, we have your back through every phase of your project. The only phone call you’ll have to make for a remodeling partner is to FBC. We hire trades on your behalf and even manage every step of the design and construction process for you. All you have to do is get excited to enjoy your brand new forever home!
Learn more about our process below! We can’t wait to show you what’s possible.