You’ve begun your remodel journey, and you can’t wait to get started. Finding the right design partner to craft your dream space is the first step. You’ve booked a few design consultations to compare quotes and company processes. You’re looking for a collaborative partner that can bring your dreams to life and take your home to the next level.
To help you get the most from your design consult, our team created two checklists. They include talking points and questions that help you choose the best firm, contractor, or designer:
Questions to Ask Your Interior Designer
- What makes your company different from other remodelers?
- Tell me about some past projects you’ve done that are like mine.
- What should I expect with your process?
- Do I have to put money down or pay a fee to see the designs for my space?
- How disruptive will the construction process be?
- Are your designs customized?
- Is it possible to do what I’m looking to do with this space?
- What trends are you seeing in design that we should consider or be aware of?
- What if I change my mind on how I want the design to look during the process?
- How do you handle unexpected issues during the construction process?
- Do you guarantee the pricing you provide me at the time of estimate?
- Do you guarantee the project construction timeline?
Talking Points for Your Consultation
- The purpose behind your remodel. Is your project to help improve the daily fit and function of your space? Are you remodeling to raise the resale value of the home? A combination of both? How long do you plan to live in your home?
- The ideal function of your space. If you could wave a magic wand, what would you want this space to do for you? How will this space impact your everyday life?
- What a day in the life of your home looks like. Do you have young children that need a play space? Do you want to create a space that’s easier to maneuver? Do you want to create more space within your existing square footage?
- The look you’re going for. What’s your design style? Do you feel your home currently fits your style? If so, is it important we continue those elements throughout your remodeled space? What trends, colors, and looks do you want to see in the finished product?
- What general budget you are working with. During your consultation, your designer can provide a ballpark range for your project. It’s important to be on the same page and set expectations going into your project. It’s also a good idea to ask when, in the process, you’ll get your final project price.
- What you don’t want to see with your space. What are some deal breakers for you with this project? What are some design elements you hate that our designers should know about?
- Any lingering concerns you have about remodeling in general. What would keep you from moving forward with the project? If you’ve completed a remodel project before, be sure to tell your designer all about that experience.
- Your schedule. What does your availability look like for possible future appointments and the construction phase?
Free Interior Design Consultations in Denver, Minneapolis, and Chicago
Design consultations are a great way to get to know a potential remodeling partner. You’ll learn if they share your values and have a process that meets your needs.
At FBC, winning trust from our homeowners through award-winning design is priceless.
Considering a remodel for all or part of your home? Get in touch with our Design Coordinator to schedule a complimentary, at-home consultation. We can’t wait to talk to you about your project!