Start Your Home Remodel With an Amazing Design Consultation
You’ve begun your remodel journey, and you can’t wait to get started. Perhaps you’ve already booked a few design consultations to compare quotes and company processes. You’re looking for a collaborative partner that can bring your dreams to life and take your home to the next level, and rightfully so — choosing the right design partner to craft your dream space is a crucial step.
To help you get the most from your design consult, our team created two checklists. They include talking points and questions that help you choose the best firm, contractor, or designer:
Questions for Your Design Consultation
The design consultation is a great opportunity to truly vet out which partner works best for your vision and scope of work. We recommend taking this time to not only review the space and your needs, but also to get to know how that company or partner can perform better than their competition. The design consultation is a space to meet your designer in person, and get all of your questions and initial concerns addressed.
Some questions to help you compare and contrast companies:
- What makes your company different from other remodelers?
- Tell me about some past projects you’ve done that are like mine.
- What should I expect from your design and construction processes?
- Do I have to put money down or pay a fee to see the designs for my space? When do you collect a deposit?
- How disruptive will the construction process be?
- Are your designs customizable?
- Is it possible to do what I’m looking to do with this space?
- What trends are you seeing in design that we should consider or be aware of?
- What if I change my mind on how I want the design to look during the process?
- How do you handle unexpected issues during the construction process?
- Do you order materials on my behalf?
- Do you manage the tradesmen working in my home on my behalf?
- Do you guarantee the pricing you provide me at the time of estimate?
- How do you project the construction timeline for my project?
Talking Points for Your Design Consultation
With an FBC Remodel design consult, our designers take the time to go beyond the technicalities of the remodel, to get to know you, your family, and your day-to-day. It’s important for your remodel partner to genuinely care about how your space currently functions, and how they can bring ease, convenience, and joy with this remodel.
Here are several talking points that our designers use and recommend bringing up during your design consult:
- The purpose behind your remodel. Is your project to help improve the daily fit and function of your space? Are you remodeling to raise the resale value of the home? A combination of both? How long do you plan to live in your home?
- The ideal function of your space. If you could wave a magic wand, what would you want this space to do for you? How will this space impact your everyday life?
- What a day in the life of your home looks like. Do you have young children that need a play space? Do you want to create a space that’s easier to maneuver? Do you want to create more space within your existing square footage?
- The look you’re going for. What’s your design style? Do you feel your home currently fits your style? If so, is it important we continue those elements throughout your remodeled space? What trends, colors, and looks do you want to see in the finished product?
- What general budget you are working with. During your consultation, your designer can provide a ballpark range for your project. It’s important to be on the same page and set expectations going into your project. It’s also a good idea to ask when, in the process, you’ll get your final project price.
- What you don’t want to see with your space. What are some deal breakers for you with this project? What are some design elements you hate that our designers should know about?
- Any lingering concerns you have about remodeling in general. What would keep you from moving forward with the project? If you’ve completed a remodel project before, be sure to tell your designer all about that experience.
- Your schedule. What does your availability look like for possible future appointments and the construction phase?
What Comes Next?
After completing the design consultations with the partners you’re most interested in, it’s time to decide who you’d like to move forward with. As mentioned in our checklists, it’s important to know what monetary commitments, if any, may occur should you move forward with working with a designer. At FBC, we ensure you love your design before you spend a dime.
If you move forward with seeing designs from multiple companies, make sure the values you talked about in your design consultation shine through with that completed design. Rather than comparing designs purely off of price point, make sure to compare the value you’ll be getting rather than considering the dollars alone.
Home Remodeling with FBC
In summary, design consultations are a great way to get to know a potential remodeling partner. You’ll learn if they share your values and have a process that meets the needs to bring your dream design to life.
At FBC, building trust with our clients and crafting joy in each and every home is why we do what we do.
Considering a remodel for all or part of your home? We’d love to work with you on your next remodel project. We specialize in all parts of the home and have been your trusted local remodeling partner since 1997. Get in touch with our Design Coordinator to schedule a complimentary, at-home consultation. We can’t wait to talk to you about your project!