Originally published Aug 9, 2019. Updated on May 4, 2022.
Start your remodel with an amazing design consultation
You’ve begun your remodel journey, and you can’t wait to get started. Perhaps you’ve already booked a design consultation to compare quotes and company processes. You’re looking for a collaborative partner that can bring your dreams to life and take your home to the next level, and rightfully so—choosing the right design partner to craft your dream space is a crucial first step.
Our team created two checklists to help you get the most out of your design consultation. Utilize these checklists to point you towards the best talking points and questions to bring up when you meet with a potential remodeling partner.
your design consultation
The design consultation is an excellent opportunity to truly vet potential remodeling partners to find one that works best for your vision and scope of work. We recommend reviewing your space and needs with the companies you meet with and discovering how they can perform better than the competition. The design consultation is a space to meet your designer and address your questions and initial concerns.
Questions for your design consultation to help you compare and contrast remodeling partners
- What makes your company different from other remodelers?
- Can you walk me through some past completed projects you’ve done similar to mine?
- What should I expect from your design and construction processes?
- Do I have to put money down or pay a fee to see the designs for my space?
- When do you collect a deposit?
- How disruptive will the construction process be?
- Are your designs customizable?
- Is it possible to do what I’m looking to do with this space?
- What trends do you see in design that we should consider or be aware of?
- What if I change my mind on how I want the design to look during the process?
- How do you handle unexpected issues during the construction process?
- Do you order materials on my behalf?
- Do you manage the trades working in my home on my behalf?
- Do you guarantee the pricing you provide me at the time of estimate?
- How do you project the construction timeline for my project?
talking points for your design consultation
With an FBC Remodel design consult, our designers take the time to go beyond the technicalities of the remodel to get to know you, your family, and the day-to-day living in your home. It’s essential for your remodel partner to genuinely care about how your space currently functions and how they can bring ease, convenience, and joy to your life with your remodel.
Design Consultation talking points our designers use and recommend bringing up during any consultation
- The purpose behind your remodel. Is your project to help improve your space’s daily fit and function? Are you remodeling to raise the resale value of your home? A combination of both? How long do you plan to live in your home?
- The ideal function of your space. What would you want this space to do for you if you could wave a magic wand? How will this space impact your everyday life?
- What a day in the life of your home looks like. Do you have young children that need a play space? Do you want to create a space that’s easier to maneuver? Do you want to create more space within your existing square footage?
- The look you’re going for. What’s your design style? Do you feel your home currently fits your style? If so, is it essential we continue those elements throughout your remodeled space? What trends, colors, and looks do you want to see in the finished product?
- What general budget you are working with. Your designer can provide a ballpark range for your project during your consultation. It’s important to be on the same page and set expectations for your project. It’s also a good idea to ask when, in the process, you’ll get your final project price.
- What you don’t want to see with your finished space. What are some deal breakers for you with this project? What are some design elements you hate that our designers should know about?
- Any lingering concerns you have about remodeling in general. What would keep you from moving forward with the project? If you’ve completed a remodel project before, tell your designer all about that experience.
- Your schedule. What does your availability look like for possible future appointments and the construction phase?
What comes next?
After completing design consultations with the remodeling partners you’re most interested in, it’s time to decide who you’d like to work with. As mentioned in our checklists, it’s essential to know what monetary commitments may occur if you move forward with a designer.
If you move forward with seeing designs from multiple companies, make sure the values you talked about in your design consultation shine through with each completed design. Rather than comparing plans purely on price point, make sure to compare the value you’ll be getting out of the remodel in your increased home value and personal value.
Home Remodeling with FBC Remodel
Design consultations are a great way to get to know a potential remodeling partner. You’ll learn if they share your values and have a process that meets the needs to bring your dream design to life.
At FBC, building trust with our clients and crafting joy in each and every home is why we do what we do. For nearly 25 years we have been perfecting our remodeling process and can’t wait to show you what we can do!
Considering a remodel for all or part of your home? We’d love to work with you on your next remodel project. We specialize in all aspects of the home and have been your trusted local remodeling partner since 1997. Get in touch with our Design Coordinator to schedule a complimentary, at-home consultation. We can’t wait to talk to you about your project!